Weed control is very critical in the 1st to 3rd month of the cassava crop. Weed competition can cause about 30-60% yield loss.
Do your 1st weeding in the 6th week after planting, and weed the crop 2 – 3 more times to keep away competition for nutrients by weeds and providing alternative host plants for pests and diseases.
Safe use of agrochemicals
– Read and understand the label carefully.
– Ensure that the recommended rates are followed.
– Open containers with extreme care avoiding spilling and wastage.
– In case of spillage, wash off the contaminated part with clean water.
– Use clean water to mix the chemicals.
– Use suitable equipment for measuring out chemicals.
– After spraying, wash off the spray pump and bury all disposable containers.